Wednesday 11 December 2013

3 Words: week one.

We started the projected by going to two exhibitions, Only in England by Tony Ray Jones and Martin Parr  and the Sarah Lucas exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery. I found that the only in england exhibition went over my head but the sarah lucas exhibition was engaging. Upon entry I dismissed it, thought nothing of it and missed every sexual innuendo possible. But as I walked upstairs I started to notice my surroundings more. Her work was very aggressive and in your face, lacks subtly and tact. She has a very masculine approach to intercourse, blunt and to the point. No romance or chivalry just sex. Lucas tackles the subject matter in a plain and obvious way, not too intricate to decipher, nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Over the course of the first week of 3 words I managed to get a lot done, I took photographs and drew from them, I used them and the images from my mood board to create more interesting shapes and things to look at. It was a very organic and intuitive way to start and over the course of the first three taught days I began to think about print. Many things fell in place for me and it was just about developing those ideas further. I don't feel I ran out of fresh ideas to do. I feel that I engaged with the theme and concept of 3 words very well. I chose nick knight, magnify and chaotic. On the 3rd taught day we were given 2 workshops to complete, the first was inspiring and got me to think about how I could challenge exhibiting silhouettes but I felt the second workshops wasn't as inspiring. It felt very childish but I understand the point was to get us to work in different and more interesting ways.

In hindsight I don't think I should have spent the first week of a two week project doing research for a print when I am not a textiles or print designer. This was a major waste of time as I have no sketches, roughs or initial ideas. Prints will not showcase my core designing skills. next time I will spend 1-2 day on collating research then head straight into designing.

For next lesson I need to have starting thinking bout shape and silhouette and start to create initial ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment